Sunday, October 5, 2008

HomeBrew everybody


99 bottles of beer on the floor 99 bottles of beer... Well actually 41. I just finished bottling my first homebrew. Its a 'simple amber ale' kit that I got with my homebrew setup. The bottling went well, I ended up doing it by myself and it was easy. The hardest part was cleaning all the bottles out and sanitizing them. It will be another 2 weeks before the carbonation in the bottle is finished. Then I can taste it. My intial impression is that it is darker than I thought and I didn't manage to make as much as I was expecting. The carboy holds 5 gallons but I'm not sure it was full and then I didn't get quite all of the beer out when bottling. So I guess normally you would get about 54 bottles. Chalk it up to my first time. Dani suggests Barack Bock for a name. It's not really a bock so I'm thinking blue state brew. Unless it turns out terrible, in which case it shall remain nameless so not to jinx the election. I'll try and post when I taste it. AT

2 comments:

jcreason said...

Awesome! Brewing is a lot fun, you'll be really glad you started :-)

A friend of mine (John Moore, Dani knows him) and myself brewed a raspberry stout a week ago and then we did an IPA and a porter yesterday. We moved the stout to it's secondary yesterday as well and added the raspberry, we'll see how it turns out!

We need to get together again and hang out, it's been awhile since we've seen you guys.

Adam said...

Wow,
I am impressed, going into the fruity realm. ;-) Sounds like you will have a lot of beer on your hands soon... We should get together...
I didn't use a secondary fermenter so I'll see how that works out, but I don't have anything to compare it to besides store bought.