Sunday, October 19, 2008

Barack Bock?




Well my first HomeBrew turned out pretty good. I was unsure but it seems to be a success. I tested a bottle one week into the carbonation period and it was too flat still. Now two weeks in it seems to be well carbonated. My impressions are that it tastes a lot like tap beer; it is fresh tasting and has very fine bubbles- if that makes sense. The carbonation isn't like soda pop, its subtle and not very noticeable. What is noticeable is the flavor: nice bitter hoppy taste with some fairly noticeable malt character. Basically a NW amber ale like you could get at the store. The hops in my kit were Willamette hops and I notice that the taste is a bit more 'harsh' than a good store bought ale, which usually are brewed with Cascade hops. I did dry hop it a bit since the amount of hops in the kit seemed weak. I am very pleased that there is not much sediment, even though I didn't use a secondary fermenter. Overall it is easy to drink and has the nice hoppy bitterness that I love.

No comments: